I once met a lady who told me she could walk into her pantry in the dark and find any item. Further, she said, she could walk around during a power outage and never trip over anything, in any room in her house. Impressive and very high maintenance, I'm sure, but that's one organized lady!!
I'm not there and I don't strive to be, but I like knowing the contents of my spaces, especially in the kitchen. Do you know what's in your pantry, freezer or refrigerator right now? Using itemized lists have been a valuable, successful and useful tool for my family and clients (it has served me well too). I have a list for all three areas (pantry, freezer, refigerator). Click on the list to see an enlarged view.
As I use an item, I check it off. That way, I have a visual reminder of what I have and what items need to be replaced. Be sure to keep it in a highly conspicuous area where you'll have easy access for viewing. When it's time to shop, I can easily prepare my shopping list because I can clearly see what I need. I don't repeat buy, which saves money and I don't have to guess what I need, which saves time, reduces stress and improves productivity. Using this technique has helped me (and my clients and family) maintain a clutter-free environment, and it has been a great life organizational and time management tool as well. It is easily transferable to any aspect of your life, so don't limit yourself to just the kitchen. It's a win, win situation.
Dr. D. Clutter™
Life management insights, strategies, hints, ideas, and tips from Dr. DClutter™.
- Dr. DClutter™
- Washington, DC, United States
- I am Dr. Darnita L. Payden, Executive Director/Owner of Dr. DClutter™ Life Management, a division of PreciousOnes™ LLC. I have a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology and over 20 years of experience working to help clients discover their strengths and talents. Having worked as a therapist, college professor, grief specialist and trainer, I have encountered in my journey many of the issues my clients may face. I have a sincere desire to help you find clarity, organization and independence in your life and environments. I know that life can be hectic, but I desire to help my clients bring as much order, peace and enjoyment back into their lives as is possible. What separates me from the norm? I focus on the client from a holistic perspective. I realize that most people desire a functional and an organized life, but may simply need support, understanding and information about why they have the habits or tendencies that have led to disorganization. I do not perform “quick fixes” or provide “one-size-fits-all” guidance, but I strive to provide strategies to my clients that will be life changing and useful for a lifetime. Dr. DClutter™ is a name well earned!!
Dr. DClutter's™ Publications
- Dr. DClutter's™ Wiseisms and Thruthisms™ Daily Inspirations, Observations and Humorous Musings
- Dr. DClutter's™ One-Day-a-Week-Guide to a Year of Random Acts of Kindness (plus 20 extra days just in case)
- Dr. DClutter's™ 21-Day Journey to a New You
- Declutter-Four Benefits of an Organized Life
- Clutter Makes You S.I.G.H.™
- Simplify. Simplify. How to Declutter Your Life
- ► 2012 (109)
- ► 2011 (218)
- ► 2010 (266)
- Manual Labor?
- A Teenager!!
- Check the Dates
- A Runner
- Small and Consistent
- Time: Friend or Foe?
- Who Are You?
- Organized and Helpful Kids
- Just Do It
- Ready, Plan, Move
- Walden Webinar
- Let Go
- Be a Quitter
- Love the List
- Dr. D. Clutter's™ Ten Easy, Quick and Cheap Ideas
- The Snow Pics
- It's Snowing Again!!
- ▼ March (25)